lunes, 19 de septiembre de 2016

UNIT 1. GRAMMAR






HABITUAL BEHAVIOUR IN PRESENT
  • A. PRESENT SIMPLE
·         ADVERBS OF FREQUENCY
1. Before the main verb:
Example: I always go to bed before midnight.

2. After the verb to be or an auxiliary verb:
Example: She is very often late for work.
They have rarely been seen together.

3. usually, normally, frequently, sometimes, (very/quite) often and occasionally can also be placed at the beginning of the sentence or clause:
Example: Occasionally we go out to the cinema, but usually we stay in and watch a video.

NOTE: always, rarely, seldom, hardly ever, and never can not be used in the same way.
ALWAYS I GET UP AT 7.

 Variations

1. The present continuous + always / CONSTANTLY (ANNOYING)
Example: He is always complaining about something!

2. Adjectives can be used as an alternative to rarely, normally and (not) usually.
Example: It is rare/normal/(un)usual for him to eat meat.
         2.1. You can also use the following structure:
                   It’s not LIKE HIM to be late. (unusual behaviour).

3. Tend to + infinitive:
Example: British people tend to drink tea rather than coffee.

4. Will + infinitive
Example: She will sometimes spend the whole day reading.

5. Keep (on) + ING: repeated actions, often annoying ones.
Example: Peter keeps on hitting me.



HABITUAL BEHAVIOUR IN PAST
·       USED TO + INFINITIVE :
o  PAST ACTIONS
o  PAST STATES
·       WOULD + INFINITIVE :
o  PAST ACTIONS
o  PAST STATES  

When I was little I USED TO go to the park with my cousins.
When I was little I WOULD go to the park with my cousins.
BUT!
When I was little I USED TO be overweight.  STATE
When I was little I WOULD be overweight.

USED TO + INF
BE USED TO + -ING
GET USED TO + -ING


No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario